Saturday, September 22, 2007

My stellar parenting skills

Sometimes I wonder if I'm doing anything right. I wonder if I'm effectively passing on my values and moral standards to the kids.

One of my standards happens to be modesty. I think bodies should be covered. The girls don't wear skin tight clothes, low cut shirts, tank tops, mini skirts, short shorts, low waisted jeans, or bikinis. Leave some things to the imagination, for crying out loud. I do my best to lead by example. It's not enough to convice the girls, though.

Katelin was invited to a party at the swimming pool. The stores around here only sell swimsuits that would appeal to hookers and exotic dancers, or fat old women. Seriously. I bought the least slutty bathing suit, but it lacked the "cool" factor.

Of course much drama ensued. Katelin can't understand why I want her to keep things covered. "It's not like I'm gonna do anything, just because of my swimsuit!!" My reply of "I'm the mom and I said so wasn't going to cut it this time." I pulled her aside and explained why I felt so strongly about modesty. These were my exact words:

"Wouldn't it gross you out to know that some greasy 15 or 16 year old boy was masturbating and thinking about your body in a bikini?"

"Yeah like,I guess, that is like really gross."

"You don't want to be USED so some kid can get off!"

"I like never thought about like that."

She saw my point. I have rubbed off on her. All the heart-to-hearts and after school specials in the world have got nothing on me.

No comments: